PhD Scholarship - University of Barcelona
1 FOUR-YEAR PhD SCHOLARSHIP
Department of Philosophy
UNIVERSITY OF BARCELONA
We offer one four-year PhD scholarship associated with the research project:
Localism and Globalism in Logic and Semantics (FFI2015-70707P)
funded by the Spanish Ministerio de Economía y Competitividad.
Please see below for a the description of the project and its objectives.
Applicants should have been accepted in the APhil branch of the Doctoral program on Cognitive Science and Language (CCiL) of the University of Barcelona. For more information about the program and to apply please see http://www.ub.edu/aphil/en and contact Prof. Manuel García-Carpintero (email@example.com).
Fluency in English is required.
The application process is completed in two stages:
(1) The official application has to be made directly by the applicant to the Ministerio de Economía y Competitividad, between September 13th and September 27th at 15h (Spanish time). For further information, please visit
http://www.idi.mineco.gob.es/ portal/site/MICINN/menuitem. dbc68b34d11ccbd5d52ffeb801432e a0/?vgnextoid= 62b349aaa8dc4510VgnVCM1000001d 04140aRCRD
(2) The applicant should send an email including the following items to Genoveva Martí (firstname.lastname@example.org) by October 3rd:
1. A satement of purpose indicating the candidate's research interests.
2. A curriculum vitae, including the grades obtained in the previous academic degrees.
3. A sample of work (maximum 8000 words).
4. One or two letters of reference addressing the applicant's qualifications for doctoral research. These should be sent by the referees directly to email@example.com.
Description of the project: FFI2015-70707P Localism and globalism in logic and semantics.
Principal Investigators: Genoveva Martí & José Martínez-Fernández
The general aim of this project is to study whether non-unitary explanations are required in order to account for reference, truth and logical consequence. We will focus especially on the relationships between phenomena of the three kinds. Our hypothesis is that different domains of discourse demand different theoretical explanations, both in logic and in semantics, so we defend a form of logical and semantic localism.
1) To study solutions to the challenge of specifying how to reason correctly on the basis of premises that belong to domains with different local semantics and logics.
2) To investigate the logics adequate to solve semantic paradoxes and their application to other philosophical issues, in particular their application to problems generated by normative and legal discourse.
3) To study the different mechanisms of reference determination for proper names, demonstratives, predicates, gradable adjectives and quantificational expressions in their referential uses.
4) To discuss the structure of the dialectic between Fregean or descriptive theories and theories of direct reference. Although both are taken to be essentially monistic, we will argue that direct reference theories are not incompatible with localism.
5) To present criticisms to monistic proposals that treat proper names as predicates.
6) To establish connections between pluralist theories of truth and other forms of pluralism.
Prof. Genoveva Marti
ICREA Research Professor
Universitat de Barcelona, Departament de Filosofia
Montalegre 6-8, 4th floor
08001 Barcelona, Spain
|Всего комментариев: 0|